Monday, January 25, 2010

"All I have is a dollar"

I wrote this earlier this week but felt self-conscious about posting it. Today I had a day where I thought in my heart, "All I have is a dollar" in a very similar way about something particular and re-read this entry and decided it is my blog, my thoughts, and my heart and I am not going to feel self-conscious about this. So here it is:

Today I went to the grocery store to pick up a few essentials like milk, floss, and bread. I knew David wouldn't be home yet so I just took my time and wandered around.

It came time for me to go up to the cash register and I picked the line with the lady in a wheel chair because I really didn't mind waiting today. She had several various piles of food and I am guessing had several different payment methods. She was probably in her late twenties or early thirties with a tattoo on the back of her neck. I wasn't really paying attention to her, I was reading dumb tabloids but I overheard the cashier say,"that will be two thirteen." Then I started to pay attention as the lady in the wheelchair said "wait, wait, wait... two thirteen? two thirteen?... I only have a dollar, all I have is a dollar" she was frantic looking through her purse on her lap and dialing someone on the phone. I stepped forward and realized the cashier was saying $2.13 not $213.00 and offered to pay for it and slid my card. The lady didn't realize what was going on until after I did it and she was embarrassed but still thanked me. She was buying the cheapest kind of laundry detergent there was.

As I drove away from the store my heart just melted, I thought things were just a little bit rough for me with our water heater broken and having a sinus infection for a month and a half and now being on my second round of antibiotics. I realized how much I really do have to be grateful for. I am sure this lady had many many blessings in her life and I don't mean to say I have so much more. There are times in my life when I am so desperate for peace, comfort, or friendships and come up short just like this lady and cry out in my heart in a similar way, "A dollar, a dollar, all I have is a dollar." I am grateful for answers that come in forms of friends, a loving husband, or the sweet comfort of the spirit in those soft, quiet moments.

$2.13 is nothing really to give but I gained such a valuable lesson today and realized how many times I have been reached out to in just the moment that I need it and I feel so overwhelmingly blessed for those moments.

5 comments:

  1. I love this. I understand exactly how you feel! Lately I have been feeling so needy & I just need to count my blessings & realize I have soo much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing person, Liberty Shane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go good Samaritan. I applaud you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was equally humbled when a woman told me she had been going to service station bathrooms to roll up some TP on her hand and take it home because she couldn't afford any.

    We are so fortunate.
    Aunt Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Libby Lady. This is very sweet. Already a year ago! Thanks for being kind to the core. You are a blessing in our lives!

    ReplyDelete